The ring solar panel is one of the best solar panels in the market. But, if you use these solar panels, you will hit two birds with one stone. The ring solar panel will provide more eco-friendly energy solutions to your home, and its complementary accessory, the ring doorbell cam, will make your home more secure. But, what about the ring solar charger?
Well, the ring solar charger is supposed to charge the ring solar panel and the ring solar doorbell cam. So, if the charger does not work fine, it will disrupt the primary purpose of buying the solar panel in the first place. So, let’s find out how well the ring doorbell solar charger works and what you can do to upgrade it.
Ring Solar Charger Overview
A ring solar charger employs solar power to generate a continuous power supply to the ring solar panel, ring solar camera, and the solar-powered ring doorbell. Like any other solar charger, the ring solar charger is also portable. It can lead the Ni-Cd battery banks or acid battery banks up to 48V capacity and generate power for hundreds of ampere-hours.
The solar charger for ring is also compatible with other solar-powered devices and gadgets. However, it is not entirely consistent with other doorbell installation devices, which may be a downside to some people. Nevertheless, the solar power rating of this device is 0.56W, 5.6VDC, so that makes it a pretty good ring solar charger in the market.
The solar charger for ring doorbell is easy to install, just as easy as installing a solar on the rooftop. You simply need the basic solar panel kit, and the charger will automatically fit once you install the ring solar panel beside your security camera. If it’s easy to use, you may also be glad to know that the charger does not require any maintenance except occasional cleaning.
When we were surveying the people who have a ring solar charger, we did not hear someone complaining about the ring solar charger not working issue. So, we guess that it’s a problem that is not so common with this solar charger after all.
The brand also recently launched the ring 2 solar charger. It ensures a convenient power supply to charge the ring doorbell solar panel. The battery life in this ring solar charger is extended than its previous model. However, it requires a few more hours of direct sunlight to ensure a continuous power supply because otherwise, the charger may not work as fine as its ancestor.
Read More: How To Build A Portable Solar Power System
How To Install The Ring Solar Charger?
The ring doorbell solar charger is pretty easy to install, as we’ve mentioned before. But, you need the right accessory if you want to use this charger the right way. It is a weather-resistant charger, and it comes with a built-in USB cord so, make sure you use all the accessories to install the charger.
- The operating condition to install the charger is 5°F to 120°F. If you install it in a temperature zone of -20.5°C to 48.5°C, you will understand its weather-resistant feature well.
- The setup requirements to install the ring solar charger are full sunlight as long as the ongoing process. You will also need the 2nd or 3rd generation Stick Up Cam Battery or the Spotlight Cam Battery to install the charger.
- The 2nd and 3rd generation Stick Up Cam Battery or the Spotlight Cam Battery are also the supporting devices of the ring doorbell solar panel. Unfortunately, the Stick Up Cam Battery 1st generation is not compatible with the charger, so make sure you use the correct supporting gadget.
- It also comes with a multi-positioning mounting arm that means you can keep the solar charger for ring doorbell anywhere you want outside your home. The mounting frame is also pretty adjustable, so that’s another perk of the ring solar charger installation.
Ring Solar Charger Drawbacks
- Some people find it frustrating that the ring solar charger is specially configured to work with the ring 2 video doorbell. That means people find it hard to believe that it will work well with the ring solar panel.
- The solar-powered ring doorbell is not something that is very expensive, so most people tend to buy it for their homes. However, an inbuilt power cord affixed to this charger can’t be swapped with any other power cord. It means if the original power cable is somehow hampered, the ring solar doorbell won’t work anymore.
- The ring solar charger also requires ample hours of direct sunlight. So, if you live in an area that stays mostly cloudy, the charger will not work there. You can’t also use the charger indoors because the inside power sources will not have enough energy to power your charging point.
1: Can You Add A Solar Charger To A Ring Doorbell?
Ans: The Ring Video Doorbell Solar Charger is a compact gadget that you can put behind the Ring Video Doorbell and connect an in-built micro-USB cord with it. This specific doorbell solar charger provides simple electricity to recharge the Ring Video Doorbell battery life.
2: How Long Does It Take To Charge A Ring Solar Panel?
Ans: Any USB power source, such as a computer, can be plugged into the micro-USB cable. Depending on whether the USB cable is plugged into a USB port or a power outlet, it will take five to ten hours to charge your battery fully.
3: Why Is My Solar Panel Not Charging My Ring Camera?
Ans: If your solar charger is not working, you should manually detach the charger and check the solar panel itself. You should also check if there is any debris or blockage inside the panel. There may also be a loose wire issue, which is why your solar panel is not charging.
The ring solar charger comes with a user manual, so you don’t have to worry too much if you don’t know how it works. We have mentioned a few drawbacks of the solar charger for the ring here, so you can make an informed decision while purchasing it. So, if you want to know more about this, you can share your questions in the comment box below.